Here are some practical tips for chewing more thoroughly and eating more slowly:
- Give yourself enough time to eat—at least 20-30 minutes just to eat the meal, plus additional time to prepare it.
- Don’t eat amidst distractions, like the TV, computer, or while driving.
- Be fully present while you eat. Notice the smell, temperature, texture, color, and subtle flavor differences of each food you consume.
- Take smaller portions, taking a break before refilling.
- Put your fork down after each bite.
- Eat mindfully, chewing each bite as many times as necessary to pulverize any texture.
- If you’re eating in a group, be aware of the speed at which others are eating. Challenge yourself to be the last to finish.
- Start by finding out how quickly you currently eat your meals. (You may be surprised to find out that breakfast or lunch at your computer is over within 5 or 10 minutes.)
- Then, work on adding time to your meals, aiming for each meal to take AT LEAST 20 minutes.
In Health and Fitness,
Stephanie :o) "GET UP AND TRAIN!"