Friday, August 21, 2009

FITNESS COACHING SERIES - STEP 3 - FROM PHASE 1 - GOAL SETTING

FITNESS COACHING SERIES
Phase 1 – Goal Setting

STEP 3: Getting Emotional, Getting Clear and Getting Honest, So You Can Finally Get Out of Your Own Way! (Wink)

FOUR PARTS TO STEP 3:
1. Set one emotional reason why you want to achieve each goal.
2. List the one main reason why you have not achieved each goal already.
3. Make a list of the number one obstacle you will have to overcome to achieve each goal.
4. List one major step that you will take to prepare to not allow the obstacles you listed stand in your way ever again.

Part 1 - Set One Emotional Reason Why You Want To Achieve Each Goal. (1 Point)
“The moment you get emotionally involved with your goal, it instantly and automatically begins to move into physical form.” – Bob Proctor, Goal Achiever Program

Having specific and measurable goals that you have set specific dates for will get you out of bed early in the morning for Fitness Boot Camp or to Total Body Training after a long stressful day at work. The secret to staying motivated all the time is to set emotionally charged goals – put them in writing - and stay totally focused on those goals day and night. You can never take your eyes off of the goal. Nothing can stand in your way – not even YOU! So GET EMOTIONAL! Dig deep. Why do you want to achieve this particular goal? What is it about this particular goal that will feel like a real achievement for you? Is this goal really what you want? Or, do you want to achieve this thing because you think it will bring you the thing you really want? Spend some time thinking on that one. You may need to revise your goals after a few of these questions, but that it completely OK. I want you to get real honest with yourself.

Part 2 - List the One Main Reason Why You Have Not Achieved Each Goal Already. (1 Point)
Blaming breeds resentment. The above step is where the real personal growth starts. There is no blaming allowed here. You must accept full responsibility for the actions that have either landed you where you are now, or have kept you from going where it is you say you want to go. What’s really going on? You are not allowed to use any “excuses”. Do not mention work hours or stress, children, family, money, friends, nature, lifestyle (ex. We eat out all the time at work.), a busy schedule on anything that will allow you to continue to use it as an “excuse” or “reason” to not achieve your goals. This is a tough one for some of us. I want you to really focus on something as you begin to sort through everything to come to the one main reason you have not achieved a certain goal – what is going through your mind as you are eliminating all of the things that I say you can’t use as an excuse? Become aware of all of the things that you have been telling yourself are the “reasons” why you have not achieved this important exciting goal or why you have let yourself get to where you are now. As you cut away at all of the reasons you have been giving yourself and everyone else – clarity will emerge. You will almost feel like a weight has been lifted when you finally realize that you have complete and total power over your life and achievements. Bottom line. You are in control. At any moment – you can begin moving rapidly toward your goals and nothing and no one can stop you because you will find a way to complete your daily actions almost 100% of the time. The power is in the very present moment. You have control at every moment. You have to stop checking out during those moments when you decide to eat an unhealthy meal or something that does not move you closer to you goals and the life that you deserve. Stop checking out when you are making the decision to not go train when you know deep down that you need and want to. Stop checking out. You have an opportunity to gain priceless insight in that moment right before you make a decision to do or not do something that will move you closer to your goal. Stop, just for a second and become aware. That’s it. Just become aware. Why are you getting ready to eat that or decide to “just skip today’s plan for training”? What comes up? Do the “reasons” or “excuses” you are hearing in your head involve the things and people I mentioned above? Is that what is really going on right at that moment? Or is it just what you are telling yourself to justify the action that you are about to take or not take? In that moment – get clear. Are you getting in your own way? Is there any way that you can make a better decision? Even if it is not the exact plan, is there another option that will move you closer to your goal instead of further away from it? The power is in the present moment. Get present and be honest.

Part 3: Make a List of The #1 OBSTACLE You Will Have to Overcome to Achieve Each Goal. (1 Point)
Hint: These obstacles probably have a lot to do with the things that trigger the moment before you choose to make an unwise decision to not train or eat unhealthy.
What makes you want to sabotage yourself? What is it that keeps coming up that makes you pull through the drive through or choose that item on the menu? What is it that continuously keeps you from your training regimen? These are obstacles that will need to be addressed and prepared for. They may involve other people or things like work. This is not the same as an “excuse” when reviewing it in this way. You are simply looking for the things that trigger you to “check out” and make the decisions that keep you from achieving your goals. Here you will address the number one thing that seems to come up the most often to make you eat unhealthy or not train on a planned training day.

Part 4: List One Major Step That You Will Take to Prepare to Not Allow the Obstacles You Listed Stand In Your Way Any Longer. (1 Point)
This is a very critical step to overcoming anything that has every gotten in your way in the past, whether it is you or something outside of your control. Life happens. Craziness is all around us. We do not have to allow it to impact us or our goals in a negative way. We simply must plan and prepare for the general things that come up most often. There will always be some level of chaos, scheduling mishaps, extenuating circumstances, simple mistakes (ex. I forgot my lunch in the fridge.), a child’s unexpected illness or injury etc…. It’s simply a part of the way the world works around us. These circumstances do not have to become insurmountable obstacles. The key to not letting it become an “excuse” for where you are or where you are not is to have a very solid plan.

You are almost to the finish line! The more time, energy and thought you put into this Phase of the Fitness Coaching Series – the more valuable your reward will be.

I will be sending each of the contestants a worksheet to complete and send back to me to make sure that you guys are completing each step thoroughly. You can copy and paste onto the worksheet from what you have already sent me. Just make sure that each block is filled out completely. Let me know if you have any questions. Best to e-mail me with questions at sadie@corehouston.com

Good Luck! We are almost there! Reward is within reach!!

Sadie Catania
Owner / Operator
Core Health & Fitness
www.CoreFitnessHouston.com

5 comments:

Jessica said...

One lesson learned during this whole Coaching Series is that it really does help to keep a log of your activities/meals each day. Sometimes you don't realize how little or how much you do until you see it on paper. Writing it down helps keep me in check. Thanks, Sadie!

Majestic Images Photography said...

I have learned that if I keep track of what I am eating and my exercise, I am able to see what I am doing. I know what I can have and what I can't and I see that calories that I put into my body, and it makes me more aware of what I am eating. I have not achieved this goal of losing weight becuz I keep making excuses of why I can't do something.
The number one obstacle is time, and motivation to keep going.

Majestic Images Photography said...

I have learned that if I keep track of what I am eating and my exercise, I am able to see what I am doing. I know what I can have and what I can't and I see that calories that I put into my body, and it makes me more aware of what I am eating. I have not achieved this goal of losing weight becuz I keep making excuses of why I can't do something.
The number one obstacle is time, and motivation to keep going.

Majestic Images Photography said...

I have learned that if I keep track of what I am eating and my exercise, I am able to see what I am doing. I know what I can have and what I can't and I see that calories that I put into my body, and it makes me more aware of what I am eating. I have not achieved this goal of losing weight becuz I keep making excuses of why I can't do something.
The number one obstacle is time, and motivation to keep going.

Anonymous said...

I have learned just how much I procrastinate and don't plan ahead when it comes to working out. Writing out a schedule to workout with my husband (my AR team mate) and having a back up schedule for when he bails on me will help a lot!!! It is up to ME to train ME! Most of all...I have learned that I CAN run 1 mile without walking...THAT goal, I just achieved last Thursday!!!!! Yay ME!